Sunday, November 17, 2013

Slovensko

A view from above the city
Slovakia is a country that is unknown to many. It is a tiny country with a population of about half of New York City. When thinking of countries throughout Europe, it may be forgotten. Slovakia however, has some of the most beautiful scenery, some of the most thought provoking historical sites, and the long, strolling brick roads are nothing less than romantic. I was lucky enough to spend a year in Slovakia discovering these beautiful scenes, finding the true beauty in the ever-so-wonderful ‘heart of Europe.’ Slovakia doesn't have huge buildings, it isn't known for anything in specific, it is simply left how it always has been, and that to me is one of the most beautiful, romantic things of all. Rather than trying to develop, and evolve into a modern day country, with new buildings and updated features, Slovakia is left how it always has been, romantic and beautiful.
Slovakia’s simplicity is among one of the most admirable aspects of the small country. The pictures below embody the pureness, and the beautiful stillness of the country. Although the country has many political, educational, and economic problems, its strength in beauty shines through what any of this may darken. When many think of Slovakia, they would never consider it somewhere that is beautiful, they see it as a country that is extremely corrupted, and has struggled throughout history, and is struggling even more after their recent split with the Czech Republic. Although this may be true, the striking views and preserved country makes Slovakia what it truly is: the beautiful center of Europe.
There is one view in specific that provokes such strong emotion, each time passing it, my whole body would get goose bumps and I felt something that I never felt before. It was seen when riding down the highway, driving on the edge of a mountain down to our village. The sun was usually setting, and as we were driving by, I couldn’t help myself from gawking at the beauty that was shining through. It was unlike anything that can be correctly described with words. I felt a rush of emotions, and although I am not a spiritual person, I felt that I was becoming closer to something, whatever it was. This view provoked natural piety, and allowed me to become closer to this idea of romanticism, being that I had experienced such a strong wave of emotions just from staring out of the car window. The view was overlooking three tiny villages in a valley, the sun was shining orange, and everything had a beautiful natural hue of orange radiating off of it. The trees were glistening, and everything looked so serene and calm. It was simply beautiful. There was no other way to put it. As Wordsworth says "Dull would he be of soul who could pass by a sight so touching in its majesty" This view was doing nothing more than touching majesty, it was so strikingly beautiful, it needs to be experienced in person rather than trying to be explained or even viewing a picture.
Slovakia has something that many other places do not, its stunning views can provoke emotion through romanticism, and its beauty is something that brings so much emotion, one can simply look and feel something amazing. Although one may be looking at nothing more than trees, and a lake it is that that provokes so many emotions, and allows the mind to get lost in the sweet serenity of the beautiful view.            

1 comment:

  1. I agree with your post. Although I have never been out of the country, I have visited beautiful places in the United States. I have experienced that feeling that you say provoked natural piety. I completely get what you mean when you say it made you become closer to something. My family went to the badlands in South Dakota a couple summers ago. While not the most developed of places I got the feeling that I was closer to nature. I had never been west of Minnesota at the time of the vacation and all of the open spaces just filled me with wonder. The way the sky met the rocky ground was just so unreal to me. I had never seen anything like it. I also took a bus trip to Washington D.C. this spring and I woke up just as the sun was rising over the Appalachian mountains in Pennsylvania and there was this fog that drenched the scenery and turned the mountains a blueish color and made me feel like I was in the clouds. Experiences like these are why romanticism still exists in today's busy culture. It's about getting away from the normalcy of the world we live in and finding something beautiful that excites our inner being, as Wordsworth would put it. But it makes me wonder what would happen if we started finding romanticism in our own everyday lives. What if we started looking for it in the scenery around where we live instead of escaping to find it. Would this make our Hobbesian lives a little more Rousseauist?

    ReplyDelete