Sunday, October 13, 2013

Peace, Love, and... Drugs?

By Elyssa Buhl

As I was looking through old pictures and sifting through ideas of what my history amounts to, I seemed to find a few themes: music, family, hippie, and travel. What stuck out to me, however, was the prevalence of photos which depicted "happy" moments and smiling faces. Very rarely were there photos of the horrible times, which I concluded realistically as probably due to the fact that if something's going terribly, there probably isn't time to take photos because everyone's trying to fix it. However, it led me to think about how our history in photographs typically paints a much different picture from what really happens. Although it does usually account for the rough times, pictures taken at funerals, and possibly also the bumps and bruises acquired in that first bike accident as a kid, the photos mostly describe a story unlike reality. Of course, there is truth in the happiness and smiling faces of the photos, but there are so many gaps between the clicks of the camera. I don't think this is altogether a bad thing, but when it comes to history, it can portray a different message from reality, and is an incarnate example of what James Loewen describes to us in "The American Pageant" in his conclusion that history is ideological. This principle is also displayed in Maus, however in a different manner; Spiegelman involves "pictures" of the way his emotions remembered and shaped his father's history. However, the picture of his father in the prison uniform, is another great example of this "faux" history; his father is smiling in the very uniform that symbolized a horrific memory.


My "Favorites" as a child:


Betty Boop Cartoon (1930's)

H.R. PufNStuf (aired 1969-1972)
This show has a very "hippie" mentality
and involves lots of tree hugging,
song-singing, and drugged up
characters

This is a recent photo, but my dad (left), friend (middle),
and dad's brother (right): My dad and his brothers
were in a heavy metal band called "The Lugnuts"
when they were younger

Miss Suzy children's book (1964)

As for my past, I've realized that there's a lot behind the pictures and a lot being said outside the frame of the photo.  My parents both came from religious homes that caused them to turn away from any idea about God, they were suppressed as teenagers and rebelled into the "love" era. My dad was a rocker musician, and my mom was a hot, fashionable, "hippie." After my parents got married, they grew back into their roots in a new way and became "born-again" Christians. This means that they gave their life to Jesus and it changed their life around; love was still their focus, but they now had a moral code that they adhered to, out of that love. And from that, I grew up not knowing about their "crazy" past. In my reality, my parents were just normal mom and dad, nothing too out of the ordinary; I didn't know who my parents were before they created our family. That being said, I had a lot of my childhood "favorites" and background either related to the hippie era of the '60s-'70s, or before that. A few examples of this: my first and favorite book was Miss Suzy (written in 1964), one of my mom's favorite show we would watch was HR PufNStuf (which aired from 1969-1972), my favorite cartoon was Betty Boop, my favorite music included the Beatles and Billie Holiday, and one of my favorite movies was Miracle. These all were influences of my parents, I wouldn't have found any of them otherwise. And although these are all laced with ideals from that time period, I was given the impression that my parents were never involved in that lifestyle. I was given a "Boy Scout handbook" version of life and I'm actually glad my parents waited to reveal the reality of their past more and more as I grew up and could better understand. These medias and "favorites" of mine painted a picture of a peace, happiness, love, and community. They created an ideological history, involving more propaganda (HR PufNStuf), than reality and truth. As I grew up, I learned stories about how my dad did heavy drugs and my mom lived out of cars and old abandoned houses, about how there was so much religious oppression from their parents, which led them into lifestyles of rebellion and ultimately depression and anger. The sexual revolution was huge in that time period, and although "love is all you need", love became a synonym of sex, which is so twisted. My parents, together, stepped out of the popular hippie lifestyle and because of that, my life was affected.

My dad quit using drugs after his friend died from an overdose, which caused me to personally never desire to do drugs. My mom never really had a childhood and because of that, she's still a kid at heart, which also affected me. Overall, the era that they grew up in and the decisions they made, affected my childhood and growth into adulthood. I didn't agreed with their rules when I was younger and thought they were too strict as parents. They laid down the law, and I thought they knew nothing about life; I thought they were all about unfair, stupid rules. I was given the "because I told you to" and the, "no, you absolutely can't have a boyfriend until you're old", and the, "no drugs, no drinking." They were able to teach me how to skip out on some of the mistakes they made, even if it was against my will and what I thought to be my own "better judgement." And as I'm older, they no longer give me the fluffy Boy Scout Handbook version and I also know the history written outside the margins of the American Pageant history textbook, in relation to their lives. There are always two sides to the story and as I was a child, those "favorites" depicted one picture of the hippie era, but as I've grown older, the other side of the photograph has been revealed as well - painting a whole story.

4 comments:

  1. This is such a great post! There is so much detail and history with it! I love the idea you have that how history in photographs depicts a different story than what actually happened. I am curious as to what you believe the gaps between the photos are? Are they people with their families, sporting events, adventures, what? What would the gaps between the clicks of the camera be for your family?
    I think that it is great that your parents, who had turned away from religion beforehand, became “born-again” Christians, especially during the “hippie” era. I feel is unfortunate that you don’t know too much about your parents’ crazy past. They should have told you more about it. Maybe there was a reason in their crazy past life that they became “born-again Christians”? I am curious as to how the lifestyle of your parents and when they stepped out of the hippie style affected you. I admire you for not using drugs because of a past experience of someone else; that is awesome that you didn’t have to learn from your own mistake/past to not do this! I love that your mom is still a kid at heart; this I feel always excites things at family events and what not. But how did her living out of old cars and abandoned houses affect you to today? Do you strive to always have a place to live; is that your goal with reflecting upon her past? I admire that your parents had changed their habitus. During their past hippie lifestyle, they were probably like the other “hippies”, fulfilling the essentialism of the hippie lifestyle by doing drugs and not caring about the world (you can correct me if I am wrong). But what I admire is how they stepped out of that lifestyle, became “born-again” Christians, and preached to you to not follow their footsteps. They had put value into living the hippie lifestyle, and then changed for their own good. Changing a lifestyle is is extremely hard to do, and for that I admire your parents and you for learning from their past!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoy this story and how you let it unfold. This idea of photographs and how they paint a different version of history is very interesting. Your idea of Vladek in the prison photo smiling. This does not depict what he went through and he has no reason to be happy besides he is free from the hell he just witnessed. The idea that there are gaps in-between these pictures that can’t be told by the picture they are outside of the frame. So what do you think, that pictures misrepresent history all together or more of skew it from what it really is? Would you agree with pictures are support to accompany history rather than tell it all together? They can give you a lot of information but if they accompany history as they did in Maus then wouldn’t they represent history a little more clearly? This extra info allows the history the picture represents to be sorted and defined. This idea is a great one and the story really showed this idea well with your parents past and how it was released to you. As well as the pictures that came along with it misrepresenting the information you are supposed to be processing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can relate to this post in many ways. While my parents were not old enough to experience the full hippie lifestyle of the 60's, (they were teens about a decade later) they still raised me on the culture of the time in which they grew up. I always remember listening to 60's and 70's radio in the car as a kid. The basis of my musical taste was rooted on the classics of the Beatles and Elton John and Led Zeppelin just to name a few. AND.... HR PufNStuf! I did not think any one close to my age had ever even heard of that let alone had seen it. Like you my mom showed me that when I was younger. I also enjoy that you mentioned your parents past and how learning about them has shaped the person you are today. I don't think I would be who I am today without knowing who my parents were back then. Their culture has made me curious about other people's cultures and developing my own as well. I believe I am a much more well rounded person because of this than I would be otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can relate to this post in the sense that my grandma and my dad are constantly telling me wild and crazy stories of their time during the 60's and 70's. They still listen to the music of that time, which has caused me to grow rather fond of it. I find your point about pictures being a misrepresentation of history. I see that if background information isn't given, or little is known about the topic, how a picture can skew what really took place, but how often do you see a photograph you know little about? An author can write the most detailed description possible, but a reader will never be able to imagine exactly what the author has in mind, or see exactly what the author experienced, but with a picture, this becomes possible. With the snap of the lens on a camera a moment, a memory, is captured. Of course, photographs can be altered, especially with all of the editing tools today, but I think that pictures show what words are unable to. I agree with Aaron's statement pictures serve best as an accompaniment to history, rather then telling history altogether. I mean after all, "a picture is worth a thousand words."

    ReplyDelete