Sunday, September 22, 2013

High School Track


For four years, I ran track. Being a part of the female sprinting team had a big impact on my life throughout high school. The impacts changes were not only physical but mental as well. And even though the work outs were tough, and some days I went home feeling sweaty and defeated, I eventually fell in love with the sport. Track taught me to give 110% every single day, to push past what I thought I could do and be even better.  Through them I learned the importance of daily exercise and a clean diet. The changes developing in me my first year were not just physical, but also mental. I found myself feeling happier all the time, and it seemed easier to focus in school, I also seemed to be sleeping through the night better. I had transformed into a lighter, faster, and disciplined runner. Track taught me the value of hard work. To never give up, and when you push yourself, you can go further than you thought possible.

I knew all the hard work had payed of towards the end of my Sophomore year, when I had gotten picked to run the 100 for the Varsity team. Seeing my name on that line up, was one of the greatest achievements I had made. The following spring when I returned to season, I began to run the 100 on Varsity every meet. I had never felt more proud of myself. Just before conference of my senior year, I sprained by ankle. I had felt like all of my hard work was for nothing. Just like that I had rid myself of any changes of going to Regionals. I saw my dream fading away.

When my ankle healed, the season was already over. And summer was almost there. I found myself working out only once a week, maybe twice if I was feeling ambitious. I had to learn all over again to run not to be good, but to be healthy. I found myself having to learn to push myself, rather than having a coach push me.
Track taught me the value of a good workout. And although I no longer am a member of that team, its principles will always stick with me.

2 comments:

  1. I liked your post and I agree that this sport can teach you to push your self to extremes you never thought you could do. I'm curious as to how your track team was signified as hard workers and what other body practices you guys did to stay at the top of your game. I know my cross country team had spaghetti dinners the night before big meets to have energy. We also would go to a training camp with other teams to train in the summer so these body practices defined us as a team. Just wondering if your track team did similar things as well? Also what made your institution or your track team specific to you? Was it just hard practice and good diet or did you guys have specific traditions that defined you as belonging to your team? Also it was really cool to see you continue exercising and learning to motivate your self rather than have a coach. It is hard to be your own motivator and be consistant on your workouts but at least your track team has shaped you in a way that you continue to realize exercise as an important thing. Your track team as an institution sounds like it shaped you in a positive way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed reading about your experiences with track. I joined the track team senior year as a distance runner, and I can relate with your dedication to the team, and always giving 110% percent. Although track is an individual sport, it is also really nice to always be surrounded by a team, and other people who can push you to do more. It is also very important to learn both how to work hard, and the value of hard work. I believe that when one puts 110% in in one passion, that hard work and dedication transfers to the other areas of life. This is obvious with you being that you started eating cleanly and exercising daily. It is important to learn this because once this is learned, working hard will simply become a daily occurrence.

    ReplyDelete