Friday, September 20, 2013

We Dance and We Sing

Dancing, acting, and singing is what we were known for. We were weird? Okay? Those are some of the misconceptions that were made by the students who were not in the musical at my high school. Supposedly it wasn't the 'cool' thing to do. Truth is though, we had members of the musical from a wide variety of places, cool and uncool, there were people who had tons of friends, and there were those with none. The football starter was the lead in Cinderella. Half of the volleyball team was part of the ensemble. The extremely talented clarinet player could sing and act. All of us came from different backgrounds and came together almost as a family at the countless hours of musical practices and performances. I was involved in the musical at my high school for four years, and those who weren't thought it was the worst thing that they could join because it would label them as 'uncool'. That assumption they had signifies how close-minded they were.

I share some of my best memories of high school from the musical. Being in the musical taught me to have more confidence. I bonded with people I typically wouldn't have hung out with. This institution taught me to accept everyone no matter who they were; this bodily habitus stuck with all of us throughout the years. We were known as the more outgoing people in school. I would smile and say hello to those passing by in the halls. Another body practice that showed the world who we were was that all of us in the musical had to wear our matching shirts on certain days, this signified our unity as a group, and those not involved definitely knew who was in, simply because we all were dressed the same. Walking down the halls, I would hear members humming songs that we needed to learn and practice, or practicing the dance moves that needed to be perfected. These small cues indicated and signified who was in the group, and who was dedicated to the group. I may have been labeled as 'uncool' for being in the musical, but I have grown into a more outgoing and confident individual because of the musical. The cultural capital I have gained from being a part of this institution has significantly helped me gain confidence through singing, dancing, and bonding with people I wouldn't normally hang out with.

(These images are from our performance of Grease in 2011. This was my favorite show we did.)

2 comments:

  1. I think that it is fantastic that people from so many different backgrounds in your school came together in performance. It reminds me very much of High School Musical. My high school definitely had stereotypes about the theater kids. Although I think that it is brave that you were a theater kid in spite of the negative connotations associated with the arts, I find it very odd that kids at your school would chose to hum in the hallway and attract additional negative attention to themselves. You seem to have not liked being labeled uncool however you chose to wear matching t-shirts that reminded others of your connection with the "un-cool" group. I really dont mean this in a critical way, I just think it is interesting because we all care about what other people think off us, but theater allowed you to not let the opinions of others get to you. Actually I think thats something that you should be proud of, you did what you loved regardless of what people thought.That is something few can do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the performing arts is a great institution to look at. Typically, it seems like most institutions are ostracizing to people due to the concept of "us versus them." While clearly you experienced being labeled and judged, this institution seems to be more about bringing people together rather than alienating certain social groups. I also think that the unity displayed by wearing matching shirts speaks to the idea of bringing people together. It shows that the unity did not end the minute rehearsal did, since everyone demonstrates their dedication during school hours. I think this is a great indicator that some institutions are not exclusive and some actually fight to break down the social barriers.

    ReplyDelete