Sunday, September 22, 2013

Midwest Asian


I don't really belong to many recognized institutions, however I can think of a subculture I have been placed in since I was born. I think the subculture of being an Asian American girl in the Midwest is pretty dominant in my life when I stop and analyze how it actually affects me as a person and how people view me. Growing up in Iowa where diversity isn't a well-known, put me in this institution whether I liked it or not. However, my hometown Ames will always be the paradise of Iowa for me. I grew up with all my friends through elementary, middle, and high school. My "American-ness" (even though I was born in New York and lived in the United States my whole life) has proven to be as patriotic as any other white person I surround myself with.  However, certain body practices have been implemented in my habits from living with my immigrant parents that not even all my hick, white friends could overwrite (I am totally joking about my friends being hick. I just always get that stereotype of Iowa when I tell people that’s where I’m from). Having all white friends acts as a silent signifier to mostly Asians that I’m probably more fluent in English and therefore am stereotyped to be an Asian American born in the United States. Another “rule” of being an Asian American is the way you talk to people who are English-second-language Asians. My parents do speak to me in their native language, which seems normal at first (because there is a common generalizations that all Asian people speak Chinese), but then my reply in English, because I am not fluent in the language, always throws people a curve ball. Most people expect when spoken to in a certain language, you must respond back in that exact same language. My accent free English response to a Chinese question sends a signifier of my subculture as an ABC (American Born Chinese, a term many Asian people use to describe this subculture) to the rest of the world. Not only are spoken words and having white friends a clear indicator that I am an Asian American, but also the way I look has been branded me with ABC. When I visit Taiwan, the locals there often stare at me and can categorize me as an ABC before I even open my mouth or walk around with a herd of white girls (as I typically do here). The way I (sloppily) dress with leggings, hoodies, and nose ring, all signify to the people of Taiwan that although I may look like them, but I am definitely not one of them.

2 comments:

  1. I really liked this idea of your way in which you communicate with your parents. I have seen this before in other cultures such as Hispanic culture. I am also from a rural area but it is actually mostly mixed with whites and Hispanics. I have Mexican friends who speak the same way in which you do with your parents. So maybe you may also belong to a subculture of people with imigrant parents. It is cool to see that this translates into other cultures such as yours and your parents. I also liked how you put into perspective of both sides of culture you face not only being a midwest asain but being an Asain-American in Taiwan culture as well. This is a side that would be very interesting to hear about and how you are treated there as being different. This is a very interesting concept of an institution and how many different angles it can be looked at.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! Your perspective is really unique, especially because you can bring in your experiences you've had in America and Taiwan. It shows how the idea of institutional habitus is an international concept. Regardless of where we go, the signifiers and habits we have stick with us and "define" us. Although I cannot relate from your view, I am from the Midwest as well (Milwaukee, WI) and I've seen the exchange between a person and their parents who speak in their native language and their response in English was surprising to me. It's interesting to know that responding in English is indeed okay.

    ReplyDelete